We are looking for a production artist to join our design team to help deliver designs for our clients and varied products. You will need to fully understand the product and client requirements before delivering an efficient design up to the final stages preparing it for print or digital publication. Your contribution will help convey clear and accurate information on the product to the consumers and help drive profits and growth.
The design industries cover many categories such as fashion, digital, spaces, and so on. Those who work in this industry focus on creating functional, aesthetic and economically viable plans to be implemented in their concerned fields.
What to expect from the role
- Hands-on experience with overseeing elements of design, ensuring high quality of work and present ideas.
- Hands-on experience with design and image editing software.
- Learning how to organize, multitask and manage time.
- Learn on the job regarding the best practices and trends in design.
- Exposure to the design industry and its various responsibilities.
- Collaborate with product managers to understand the product and design requirements.
- Oversee the elements of design like graphics, layout, and fonts before the product is complete.
- Use image editing software to create, retouch and finalize a design for presenting.
- Ensure high quality while presenting both print and digital formats.
- Manage smooth functioning all processes up to printing.
- Suggest changes and improve design if required.
- Ensure deadlines are met and the project works in a time-bound manner.
- Collaborate with fellow designers for improvement on the design.
- Communicate regularly with the clients to understand their needs and ensure it is reflected in the design.
- Maintain an archive of all the content used in the design for each client.
- Stay up to date with design trends and software to identify best practices to be used.
- Bachelor's degree in Visual Communication, Electronic Media or any other design related field.
- Any other vocational training or qualification in design is .
- Prior experience as a production artist, graphic designer or related role.
- Excellent design portfolio of design projects.
- Strong knowledge of the print process, graphic designing software, and preflighting tools. (Adobe products, QuarkXPress, etc)
- Basic knowledge of computer and web-like HTML and development systems.
- Strong time management, organisation and multitasking skills.
- Creativity and innovative thinking with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
On average $55,713 per annum.
Source - glassdoor.com
Production Artist is an entry to an intermediate level job. In this job role, you have to oversee the elements of design and collaborate with product managers. It also includes tasks like manage processes up to printing and making improvements if required. It is a stepping stone if you are looking to make a career in design. Here are a few steps you can take towards this job role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Visual Communication, Electronic Media or other design-related fields.
- Masters degree in a similar discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with design projects and a good portfolio.
With enough experience in this job role, you can move onto other jobs in this field such as:
- Senior Illustrator
- Assistant Art Director
- Senior Production Manager
What qualities do you possess that make you well suited for this job?
What do you love most about designing new projects?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
How comfortable are you working with different departments across the company?
Would you be okay with working overtime?
How would you approach an employee that is slowing down the workflow?
Describe a project of yours that succeeded in the past and tell us why you think so?
Have you ever handled a client who continually requested changes? How did you handle it?
Describe a time you collaborated with multiple groups and got the job done.
Technical knowledge and skill
What process do you follow to organize and plan your work up to submission?
What are your favorite tools to work with and why?
How do you understand your clients’ needs before starting a project?