We are looking for a computer technician to join the IT department of our company to help install and configure our hardware and software. You will be required to set up operational software, networks, security systems etc. You are responsible for ensuring our systems are functioning in their best conditions and are maintained well.
IT and Development
The IT and Development department is the department within a company that is charged with establishing, monitoring and maintaining information technology systems and services.
What to expect from the role
- First hand experience to work with hardware and software.
- Tasks like configuring and installing systems.
- Opportunity to work with and understand operational software, networks and security.
- Work in collaboration with a team and guided by an expert in the field.
- Learn on the job with a scope for growth.
- Install and configure software and drivers.
- Set up required hardware and well-functioning LAN/WAN.
- Set up other network requirements and manage their components.
- Ensure the systems are secure to maintain protection from any attack.
- Maintain these security systems and software and regularly check for any malfunctions or discrepancies.
- Troubleshoot bugs and system failures to restore proper functionality.
- Ensure the systems are up to date by performing regular upgrades.
- Regularly assess the performance of operating systems, software and hardware and address any problem if observed.
- Maintain reports and records of the performance and function of systems.
- Provide support for users and guide them to use computer systems correctly.
- Work within company rules and policies.
- Use the best practices and methods.
- Bachelors in computer sciences, engineering or related subject.
- Any other relevant qualification or certifications are an added bonus.
- Prior experience as a computer technician or similar roles.
- Prior experience with LAN and WAN networks.
- Excellent knowledge of computer systems, IT components,
- Strong knowledge of internet security, data privacy principles and troubleshooting methods.
- Good communication and teamwork skills.
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills.
On average $14.83 per hour.
Source - indeed.com
Computer Technician is a job role that requires a certain amount of experience. It is the role responsible for configuring and installing systems and is fully exposed to the IT department. Although it is not an entry-level job, it is definitely a stepping stone if you are looking to make a career out of IT and Development. Here are a few steps you can take towards this job role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering or related field.
- A Master’s degree in similar discipline is preferred.
- 3-5 years' experience in system engineering and IT support.
After sufficient experience in this job roles and appropriate further qualifications, you can move on to other jobs related to this field such as:
- Senior Technician
- Systems Analyst
- System Engineer
What are the skills you possess that qualify you for this job?
What steps do you take to stay updated with the current trends in technology?
Why did you choose a job as a computer technician?
What do you consider an ideal day in your job?
Are you comfortable with coming to office on short notice after working hours or on weekends?
In what way are you a good match with our company culture?
How would you work with a team?
How do you prioritise work based on multiple deadlines?
Why did you choose our organisation?
Technical Knowledge and Skills
Describe the ideal troubleshooting process.
What is the most important advancement in computer security systems currently?
Which resources do you find most useful on the job?