As a data analyst, you will be responsible for compiling actionable insights from data and assisting program, sales and marketing managers build data-driven processes. Your role will involve driving initiatives to optimize for operational excellence and revenue.
IT and Development Industry
The IT and Development department is the department within a company that is charged with establishing, monitoring and maintaining information technology systems and services.
What to expect from the role
- Work with raw data to help analyze and structure it.
- Observe trends and create reports.
- Collaborate and work with team members.
- Guidance from experts in the field
- Learning on the job with scope for growth.
- Ensure that data flows smoothly from source to destination so that it can be processed
- Utilize strong database skills to work with large, complex data sets to extract insights
- Filter and cleanse unstructured (or ambiguous) data into usable data sets that can be analyzed to extract insights and improve business processes
- Identify new internal and external data sources to support analytics initiatives and work with appropriate partners to absorb the data into new or existing data infrastructure
- Build tools for automating repetitive tasks so that bandwidth can be freed for analytics
- Collaborate with program managers and business analysts to help them come up with actionable, high-impact insights across product lines and functions
- Work closely with top management to prioritize information and analytic needs
- Bachelors or Masters in a quantitative field (such as Engineering, Statistics, Math, Economics, or Computer Science with Modeling/Data Science), preferably with work experience of over 2 years.
- Ability to program in any high-level language is required. Familiarity with R and statistical packages are preferred.
- Proven problem solving and debugging skills.
- Ability to manage simultaneous tasks in a fast-paced, technology-oriented environment.
- Familiarity with database technologies and tools (SQL/R/SAS/JMP etc.), data warehousing, transformation, and processing. Work experience with real data for customer insights, business, and market analysis will be advantageous.
- Experience with text analytics, data mining and social media analytics.
- Statistical knowledge in standard techniques: Logistic Regression, Classification models, Cluster Analysis, Neural Networks, Random Forests, Ensembles, etc.
On average $83,878 per annum.
Source - glassdoor.com
Data Analysts are mathematicians, trend-spotters, and handle large amounts of data. Their role is to analyze large volumes of data and to find trends in the data and gain a deeper insight into what it all means. Although it is not an entry-level job, it is a stepping stone if you are looking to make a career out of IT and Development. Here are a few steps you can take towards this job role:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, data analytics, economics, and relevant fields.
- Master’s degree in the similar discipline.
- 3-5 years of experience in data analysis, IT and development.
With sufficient experience in this job category, you can move on to other jobs in this field such as:
- Data Architect
- Data Scientist
- Marketing Analyst
- Business Analyst
Why did you want to become a data analyst?
What part of your job do you enjoy the most?
What qualities of yours make you best suited for this job?
How comfortable are you to work with flexible timings and on weekends?
What would you do if an employee was violating company policies?
What is the best onboarding method according to you?
How would you handle multiple data heavy deadlines?
How would you manage your time if you were given a team to guide?
What would you describe your management style?
Technical knowledge and skills