We are looking for a systems engineer to join our IT department and ensure that all the systems are monitored and maintained correctly. You will be required to maintain system functionality and ensure it is delivering high-quality performance. You are responsible for the efficient maintenance and functioning of our systems.
IT and Development
The IT and Development department is the department within a company that is charged with establishing, monitoring and maintaining information technology systems and services.
What to expect from the role
- Work experience with different systems, software, and hardware.
- Opportunity to work on IT projects.
- Exposure to IT and development.
- Work in collaboration with a team.
- Guided by experts and professionals in the field and learn on the job.
- Ensure that all systems and infrastructure is monitored and maintained.
- Perform the installation configuration and maintenance of the operating systems, operational software, and system management tools.
- Ensure systems are maintained and are functioning with high quality.
- Ensure that there is a high level of security and regular back up being carried out.
- Assess the systems, identify problem areas and fix them.
- Collaborate with developers and fellow engineers to ensure that systems are functioning at an efficient capacity.
- Write and maintain scripts to provide readymade solutions and reduce human intervention at any point of time for a task.
- Design operational and information support systems in collaboration with fellow engineers and developers.
- Be available to provide 2nd and 3rd level support.
- Negotiate and coordinate with vendors and IT support personnel to resolve problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science or relevant subjects.
- A masters degree in similar fields is preferred.
- Prior experience as a systems engineer.
- Prior work experience with installation and configurations of operating systems and system management tools.
- Excellent knowledge of security software, automation software, scripting and virtualisation.
- Strong time management, organisation and multitasking skills.
- Solid experience with Cloud (AWS), administration and performance tuning of application stacks.
On average $70,502 per annum.
Source - salary.com
Systems Engineer is a job role that requires a certain amount of experience. It is the role responsible for the maintenance of systems and is fully exposed to the IT industry. Although it is not an entry-level job, it is definitely a stepping stone if you are looking to make a career out of IT and Development. Here are a few steps you can take towards this job role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering or related field.
- A Master’s degree in similar discipline is preferred.
- 3-5 years' experience in system engineering and IT support.
With appropriate experience in the job role, you can move onto other jobs such as:
- Senior Systems Engineer
- System Analyst
- Solution Architect
Why did you choose a job in IT and development?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
What efforts do you take to stay up to date with tech trends?
How comfortable are you working with flexible timings and being available for emergencies?
Would you be willing to work weekends if necessary?
If you heard that an employee was violating office conduct, what would you do?
What made you want to join our organisation?
If you were given a team to lead, what approach would you take?
Are you a lone worker or a team player?
Technical Knowledge and Skills
Name some pros and cons about cloud computing.
What steps would you take to debug a running program?
How do you manage system configuration?